01 02 03 I'm My Favorite: What To Do After A Bad Walk 04 05 15 16 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 31 32 33

What To Do After A Bad Walk

34
So my last post was about my "bad walk" last Thursday. After that walk, my next scheduled walk wasn't until Sunday and I dreaded it for the entire two days leading up to it. Having a bad walk can really mess with your confidence. All day on Saturday I kept remembering that I would have to get up early to walk on Sunday and I could think of a dozen things I rather be doing and the number one reason was sleeping.

Stacey and I had planned on meeting at the Y at 7:30 a.m. If she hadn't planned on walking with me I'm sure I would have talked myself into sleeping in and delaying my walk until Sunday afternoon and who knows if I would have done it.

I went to bed on Saturday night and set the alarm for 6 a.m. I didn't have a good night sleep at all. Tanner was not cooperating and around 1 a.m. I finally gave in and slept in Gracie's room (she was downstairs sleeping in her tent).

My alarm went off on my phone at 6 a.m. and I snoozed a couple of times. Dreading getting up, I finally made my way to the kitchen and ate something. I was secretly hoping Stacey would text me that she couldn't make it so I could go back to bed.

By 7 a.m. I was dressed and finally awake. At 7:05 a.m. Stacey texted me and said she wasn't going to be able to make it. I swear if she had sent that text ten minutes earlier I would have gone back to bed. But I didn't. I can't explain it but I had already mentally committed to the walk so there wasn't any going back. I left Jim a note telling him what was going on and that I'd be walking the neighborhood.

I still wasn't feeling "good" about the walk. The memories of the bad walk were still fresh in my mind and now I was going to be walking part of the route that I had gone on the bad walk. I put in my earbuds, kept my music pretty low so I could still hear the sounds of my neighborhood and started walking in the crisp, cool air.

I was walking pretty slow for the first couple of miles of my six mile walk. More than a 17 minute mile pace.  I just wasn't feeling it. I made my way past the kid's school and thought about the parishioners that were sitting in the 7 a.m. Mass. On my right was the local public high school and as I passed their football practice field I noticed the beautiful sunrise. Not surprisingly a lot of my thoughts on this walk were reflections of the 10th anniversary of 9/11.

As I made my way around the next section of my walk, my pace started to pick up more and I started to feel a little better. When I got to the part on my route where Tanner and flipped out on me a few days before I started to feel some anxiety. I told myself that I needed to take back control over that stretch of road and bury the negative feelings I had about that bad walk once and for all. So I did. I pushed it all out of my mind and was taking in the present.

I finished the first three miles and then started on my second loop of the route. By this time I was warmed up and feeling confident. I finished the six miles with 16:23 minute mile average pace.

Unfortunately my evening schedule this week has been crazy so I haven't been able to walk since Sunday. I've had to do some major moving around on the training schedule this week and am actually going to be doing my long walk (9 miles) tomorrow night instead of this weekend. I'm a little nervous about it. The 8 mile walk two weeks ago was exhausting and I was really tired for two days after. But I'm also excited because Stacey and I are going to be walking a new route that neither of us have walked before and it should be super fun. I'll try and snap some photos along the way.

Until then ...
35 36 37 38