01 02 03 I'm My Favorite: What's in My Shopping Bag? 04 05 15 16 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 31 32 33

What's in My Shopping Bag?

34
I have a few minutes of my lunch hour left so I want to do a quick post. I went to Whole Foods for my first purchasing experience. I felt a lot more comfortable having gone with Kim last week and had a few things I was looking for. I had about six coupons I gave the cashier and only three went through - I need to figure out which ones didn't and decide if it was a mistake on their end or mine.

I bought a bunch of snacks for the kid's school lunches. I've got a good grasp on my eating and Jim is on board now too, but I need to make more of an effort with the kids to make sure they are eating healthy foods. Kim and I talked about this a lot last week. My Jacob was always such a good eater - he loved fruits and veggies and it was hard to find food he didn't like (which included macaroni and cheese, peanut butter and chocolate on his "no" lists). It seems like he's getting more picky or more accurately I've gotten lazy by giving him sweet packaged foods that he is now preferring over healthier options.

So some of the things I bought at Whole Foods included a box of Kashi Go Lean Crunchy Chocolate Caramel bars that Kim introduced me to. I got a box of 12 bars for $12.85. I need to do some research and see if Sam's Club carries these (Kim gets hers at Costco). I checked Walmart and they don't carry them. WF did give me a 10% discount since I bought a box. I also got the same bars in chocolate peanut and cinnamon coffee cake at $1.19 each. I got some chewy granola bars for the kid's lunches along with some individual packs of cheese and graham crackers.

I picked up some Cedar's Hommus for me. Kim turned me on to the Zesty Lemon flavor last week and I'm planning to keep it here at the office to snack on. Also on the snacky side is a box of individually wrapped pieces of dark chocolate and crunchy organic peanut butter (another of Kim's suggestions).

Speaking of peanut butter, Jen of Prior Fat Girl (one of my favorite blogs) has been raving about Justin's Almond and Peanut Butter so I picked up a couple of individual packs to try them out.

I had coupons for Popcorn, Indiana and Larabars. And I got a couple of individual fruit strips to see if the kiddos would buy-in to those for lunches.

Well, that's all I can remember of my purchases. There were some other things I can't recall right now. In all I spent $63. I don't think that's too bad considering the $13 I spent on the Kashi box.

One of my readers, Stacy, suggested I do some price comparison with Trader Joe's (which is also near my office) so I will be taking her up on that suggestion soon.

Tell me what your favorite Trader Joe's and Whole Food products are!

August Goal Update
Last Monday I posted goals for myself for the month of August. Here's how I did on the weekly goals last week.

  1. Track WW points daily. - Met. Tracking has been the key to my success the last several weeks. This is my most important wellness goal on my list.
  2. Exercise at least three times a week. - Not Met. I only exercised two days.
  3. Drink at least 48 oz of water a day. - Met. I actually think I set this goal too low. Although it was a big step for me to add more water to my day, now that I've made the commitment, it's easy for me to do it.
  4. Limit Diet Dr. Pepper to two cans a day. - Not Met. I stated in my goal "two cans" but there were a few meals out that I had glasses of soda which included refills. This is going to be a challenging goal for me.
  5. Cut out one WW ice cream bar a week. - Met. No ice cream Friday or Saturday (could have been because we were out ;)
  6. Read stories every night to the kids. - Met. I'm giving myself a "met" on this one because I did it ever night except Saturday which was the night we let the kids stay up until 11 p.m. with their cousins.
  7. Game night once a week. - Met. We didn't actually all play together, but the grown ups played Yahtzee at one table while the kids played Apples to Apples at another. I think they played Twister too.
  8. Read every night before bed. - Met. This is a pamper goal for me. It's something I enjoy and I want to make sure I treat myself to something special (non-food related) every day. Last week I finished To Kill a Mockingbird and am now reading Corduroy Mansions.
Six out of eight is pretty good. I will work really hard to get reach that soda goal this week. It won't be easy. I also will exceed my exercise goal. I've missed it and I need it.
35 36 37 38