01 02 03 I'm My Favorite: Clueless in the Kitchen - Sauteed Brussels Sprouts and Crock Pot Chicken Tacos 04 05 15 16 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 31 32 33

Clueless in the Kitchen - Sauteed Brussels Sprouts and Crock Pot Chicken Tacos

34
This week's Clueless in the Kitchen Reviews are for Dan's Sauteed Brussels Sprouts with Red Pepper and Onion and Shannon's Crock Pot Chicken Tacos.

First up are the infamous brussels sprouts. I made a big production about the fact that I was going to try brussels sprouts for the first time in my life (yep, you read that right - first time).

I even posted a few Facebook status updates about it including: "I just put brussels sprouts in my shopping cart" and "brussels sprouts are currently cooking on my stove" followed with friend's comments such as "on purpose" and "Shane made them for me when I was pregnant and when he wasn't looking I fed them to the dog!"

When I saw that Dan posted a recipe for brussels sprouts my response was "Brussels Sprouts? Really Dan? I have never eaten a brussels sprout in my life but I guess a deal is a deal." (My deal was if you posted a recipe, I would try it.)

Dan did a good job selling them. His response to my disbelief that he would suggest such a thing was: "They are baby cabbages and can be a little bitter. I have found that sauteing them helps take out the bitterness. I never ate one until i married my wife. Now i love them. If you want to be a little bad, they are also good boiled until they get soft and then add butter and Parmesan cheese. Or slice them in half and cover them along with cauliflower in olive oil. add some oregano, salt and pepper and garlic powder. Layout on a cookie sheet and roast them in the oven on 375 for about 35 mins. That is pretty tasty as well."

All right, let's get started. I chopped up the brussels sprouts (I wondered if I was doing it wrong - I had a lot of leafs fall off in the process) and after looking up how to julienne a pepper (seriously people, I am that clueless in the kitchen) I chopped those up as well.

Score one point for looking pretty.

I sauteed the sprouts with some olive oil and garlic. So far so good.

While cooking the smell was fine - no yucky odors. Actually smelled really nice when I added the red peppers in.

I proudly present Sauteed Brussels Sprouts with Red Pepper and Onion

Moment of truth. I was about to eat a brussels sprout. I started with a small one. The taste was unique as it hit my tongue. I chewed and kinda liked the texture. Next I tried one with some of the red pepper. Wasn't bad. The pepper masked most of the sprouts taste. Next I tried another sprout on its own and I was done. I tried, but I did not like them. Didn't like the aftertaste either.

I was so anxious to try them I forgot the cheese. I think I would have just been wasting good cheese though.
Result: Smiley thumbs down

Jacob gave it a shot. He put a sprout in his mouth. Gave a weird look and then spat it back in his hand. It happened quick enough I couldn't get a photo.
Result: Thumbs down

Dan, we gave it the college try, but we're going to be a non-brussels sprout home. Keep sending suggestions though. I promise to try them.

Here's the count:
Thumbs up - 0
Thumbs down - 2

Here's the recipe:
Clean and slice brussels sprouts length wise. Julienne red pepper and slice half an onion. Heat olive oil in skillet. Add some fresh chopped garlic. Saute BS first for about 3-5 mins. add red pepper and saute with BS for about 5 mins. Add onion and saute until all veggies are soft, or to whatever texture you prefer. remove from heat and have a 1 cup serving. Add small amount of crumbled Gorgonzola or blue cheese. Very healthy side dish, tastes great and is quick.

Next up is Shannon's recipe for Crock Pot Chicken Tacos. I was excited about how easy and quick this meal would be. On my way out the door for work, I dumped some chicken in the crock pot and poured a jar of salsa over it. That's it!

When we walked into the house after work and picking up the kids Jacob said "something smells yummy!"


I proudly present Crock Pot Chicken Tacos

Let's see what the family thought of this new dish ...

Jim was a fan.
Result: Thumbs up

And Jacob ...

He loved it. He ate two tacos and told me to be sure to save some leftovers for him so he could have more.
Result: Thumbs Up
(Notice Jacob is sitting in the chair - kinda.)

What did Miss Grace think?

No love from Gracie. She didn't like the chicken. Then there was a huge blow-up at the table where she refused to eat the cheese and tortilla because the chicken had touched it and I refused to cook her something else for dinner (a rule is a rule). After tears, a trip to her bedroom to calm down and a little chat, we both agreed that she could have a banana and we would call it a day.
Result: Thumbs Down

I liked it. The salsa taste was a bit strong for me, but I loved how easy it was. I spread some avocado on mine and liked the extra kick. I think doing the same thing but using a sweet barbecue sauce might be good.
Result: Thumbs Up

Here's the count:
Thumbs up - 3
Thumbs down - 1

Here's the recipe:
I heard this tip at a Weight Watchers meeting a couple of years ago. You take frozen boneless skinless chicken breasts (4 to 5 or as many as will fit) and put them in your crock pot, add kosher salt and fresh ground pepper, and one jar of any kind of salsa you like. Cook on low all day. When you get home, remove the chicken only from the crock pot, shred the chicken, and then take the juice left over and strain the veggies from the salsa and reserve the liquid. Take the shredded chicken, add the salsa back in, and then add as much liquid as you like. Then, what I do is take soft taco sized flour tortillas, spread some avocado, low fat or fat free sour cream, a little bit of cheese, some hot sauce, and the chicken mixture, and you've got some great chicken tacos!!! I find this chicken mixture to be very tasty and if you like avocados, you will love this!

Thanks Shannon and Dan for playing along!

Zumba Corner

I missed a good class last night by reading the status updates on Facebook. I will be going back tomorrow. I need it.

35 36 37 38