01 02 03 I'm My Favorite: Exercise 04 05 15 16 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 31 32 33

Exercise

34
My next hurdle to overcome is exercise. I need it as part of my program to be successful. If you've been reading my blog for awhile you know I'm a Zumba enthusiast. But I have to admit I've burnt myself out on it. Ever since training and walking my first (and only) half marathon I never went back to Zumba consistently.

I need a change.

I've thought a lot about it over the past couple of weeks. I'm trying to rid myself of the negative self talk and excuses for not exercising and it's been a struggle. Add on top of that problems with my asthma.

About a month and a half ago I came down with a sinus infection. Once that cleared up I started having trouble with my asthma. It's been years since I've needed an inhaler. I was having trouble breathing during the day, when I went outside in the cold air, when I would lay down, you name it.

The first week I got back on my program I did some research on at home boot camps and I printed off instructions for a day-one workout. That night after the kids were in bed I went downstairs to give it a shot.

The warm up started with squats and jumping jacks. I was dieing. DIEING. I looked at my timer and I was less then two minutes in. I couldn't breath and my chest was on fire. I'm stubborn though and I told myself I couldn't quit before finishing the warm up (for crying out loud it was the warm up). So I struggled through it and finished the warm up and then collapsed on the floor to regain my breath. It was awful. Here's proof:



And you know what my legs were sore for two days after that piddly warm up.

So, back to what I want to do ... I started looking at the YMCAs class exercise schedule, I considered getting up at 4:30 a.m. to go to the Y to do weights and cardio (stair climber, treadmill) before work, I even considered going to the 5 a.m. spin class. But nothing sounded like something I would actually stick too (or even do once for that matter - I'm not a morning person).

So what I ended up doing is ordering Jillian Michaels' 30 Day shred DVD. It came in the mail last week.

I'm happy to report that three doctor's visits and four medications later I finally found a treatment that has my asthma under control.

So I'm ready to do this exercise thing. But I'm scared. I'm really scared. I don't know if I can do it. I'm obviously not in shape for these bootcamp type exercises, but I have to start somewhere.

My friend Ali told me about some online workouts that might be something I can try and she had some good advice for me. She said the key is just doing what you can in the beginning and after a few weeks, you’ll be doing a lot more.

The reason I think the 30 Day shred is going to work for me is I'm not comfortable committing to an hour long class in the evenings. I'm just too busy and it's too easy to talk myself out of going. So this DVD is something I can easily do at night after the kids go to bed (or even in the morning - they are only supposed to be 30 minutes each day).

I'll keep you posted on how I'm doing.

Have you don't Jillian Michaels' 30 Day Shred? What did you think of it?
35 36 37 38