01 02 03 I'm My Favorite: Compliments and Confidence (Photos at the End of Post) 04 05 15 16 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 31 32 33

Compliments and Confidence (Photos at the End of Post)

34
Three days of Zumba in a row and I was hurting this morning. I wore it like a badge of honor. My fourth night will be tonight at Stephanie's Zumba class. I already have my request in for Enrique Iglesias "I Like It."

The scale was down another .4 pounds this morning. I'm a daily scale weigher which works for me. I'm starting to have flashbacks to when I was doing well back in the fall and getting so excited for my Friday morning weigh ins. I was even known to have dreams about the scale in the wee hours of Friday morning in anticipation. It's been so long since I've had scale confidence. Like everything else this week, it feels great.

So today I want to talk about one of my favorite things about losing weight - the compliments. I've shared my experiences with you before, but I think it's worth talking about again because I'm sure that there are many of you out there that are motivated to lose weight so that other people will notice.

I started off my weight loss journey that way, and I think for a lot of us, as we start to lose weight and make changes, our motivations change as well. I went from wanting to lose weight because I wanted to be skinny and look good in cute clothes to wanting to lose weight to get healthy, to be a positive role model to my kids and because I ended up loving the benefits of working out. That being said, it's still awesome to get compliments.

Let me back up a little. When I was at my heaviest I didn't try. "I let myself go" I guess you could say. I hated the limited clothing that came in my size. I would go past Loft and Banana Republic and other cute stores and wish I could fit into the clothes in their window and instead I ended up buying whatever fit the best. I would sleep in as late as I could, take a shower, throw my hair in a pony tail and put on a little makeup for work. I had no pride in my appearance and I believe that can't help but rub off on how you project yourself to others.

Fast forward to my weight loss. Well, first of all, let me acknowledge that I know how much it stinks to lose 10, 20 or even 30 pounds and have it not be noticeable to the outside world. It stinks. So although I was noticing my clothes fitting looser as I started losing weight, I was still wearing the same clothes that everyone was used to me wearing.

Disclaimer - I'm going to talk about how I've improved "my look" now, but I have to admit that I still have a long way to go. I'm a bit of fashion misfit and am definitely learning as I go. So don't think I think I'm an expert or anything.

So, the first thing I did was start playing around with makeup. I'm a bit awkward with makeup. I've never had much confidence with it and so I started watching some makeup tutorials on YouTube to get more comfortable. I bought new brushes, took better care of my skin and just overall tried a little harder. I started to feel better about how I looked.

Next, after becoming an evening exerciser I also became a night shower convert. This is one of the best changes I ever made. I really appreciate the hair that I inherited. It's thick, can hold a curl and holds up to humidity. Problem is it takes forever to dry and even longer to curl and so I didn't do it very often. Especially if it meant getting up super early for work. By taking my showers at night and letting my hair airdry I saved a ton of time in the morning and now I just have to get up and curl it. I really like my hairstyle right now. I feel really great when I see it in the mirror.

Surprisingly to me, another step that helped with my pride in my appearance was jewelry. I pretty much just wore my wedding rings up until a few months ago. But then I had my Premier Jewelry party and earned a ton of free jewelry and I love wearing it every day. It really does make a difference in my appearance and the way I feel.

And lastly, and most importantly for me, now that my weight loss is noticeable and I've had to buy new clothes, I love the way I'm showing off my shape. Obviously, I was in the 190s once before - it was ten years ago when I was in my mid-20s. But the way I dressed then and the way I dress now are totally different. In my 20s I wore black pants and button down shirts or long skirts and sweater sets. I just didn't have my own style and I wasn't comfortable in my own skin. My main objective was to hide everything. Now I want to show it all off and I want to look great. I want to look fashionable. I want to feel pretty. So if I find a piece that shows off my shrinking waist but maybe doesn't hide everything that I'd like, I go with it anyway.

So that's part of the reason I love going and trying on clothes and taking photos and sharing them with you all. First of all it's a great feeling to not be in the dressing room and breaking down in unhappy tears. But it's helping me learn. It's helping me discover what looks good on me.

So on to some recent compliments.

Hands down, this is the best thing I've bought (I just typed boughten - gross) in recent years. I've lost count how many compliments I've gotten on this coat. Everyday I wear it I get compliments from friends and strangers. IT FEELS GREAT! I know they're complimenting my coat, but it does reflect on a compliment for me too. To me it tells me I look good. I'm finding my style and obviously I'm projecting that confidence outward. I think if I was wearing this coat and had my head to the ground with a frown on my face I wouldn't get as many compliments.



I also bought a purse to match this coat. This is something I would have never done previously. I buy a purse I like and carry it until it falls apart. I love the idea of building my wardrobe with different coats and purses to match. It's so much fun.

And this is my second favorite recent purchase. You'll remember I didn't buy this the first time I tried it on. Well, your comments from that post made me go back to Stein Mart to get it. I wore it to my meeting in New York and I felt like a freaking rock star. I think it looks awesome from the front. I try not to think about the back, but like I said before I'm focusing is on the flattering parts. I also wore the dress to work this week and had several compliments. Ten years ago I would have never bought this dress. I would have never bought a dress that was straight on the bottom like this. I only bought dresses that were full on the bottom. Not anymore.



Here are some photos from a recent Macy's shopping day. I didn't buy any of these. Just having fun.

These are the types of dresses I still reach for first. I liked this when I tried it on, but looking at it now - it's not showing off the weight I've lost.
Now this dress, shows it off. (But I would have to walk around with my back to everyone :)


Cute right?
35 36 37 38