01 02 03 I'm My Favorite: A Really Rough Week 04 05 15 16 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 31 32 33

A Really Rough Week

34
I'm so glad last week is behind me. It did not go the way I planned and I really struggled to make it through the week. I was preparing all week for our annual awards ceremony for work, but what I had not planned on was getting sick.

Now, I'm not talking about the in bed with the flu kind of sick, that might have actually been better. I thought I was having a bad reaction to some increased dosage of migraine medicine my neurologist put me on, but now as I sit here five days later having stopped the medication and still having the symptoms I think I might just be dealing with a virus. I had something very similar happen to me about five years ago and it was one of the scariest times in my life. Long story short is I feel about 50 percent mentally as I normally do. I'm dizzy, lightheaded, tired, can't concentrate and just don't feel like myself. When this happened five years ago I ended up having a bunch of tests done to see if they could find what was wrong after two weeks of these symptoms. Shortly after all the test came back normal I started feeling better. My doctor said it was probably some kind of virus or ear infection. I do feel a little comfort thinking that I might just be going through the same thing again. I'm not a doctor obviously so I will be following up with my neurologist tomorrow liked they asked me to on Friday. I'm going to be taking it easy and staying home tomorrow.

So, last week was hard. I needed to be at 100 percent and like I mentioned I was half of that. Luckily I have some awesome co-workers that stepped up and helped me out. My responsibilities for the event included writing the 90-minute script for the awards program, setting up for the event, running rehearsal and greeting the 35 award winners at registration with instructions on accepting their awards. By Friday morning the stress of being sick was too much for me. I was doubting the work I had done all week and if it was good enough - I didn't feel I could trust myself. I talked to one of my co-workers at the office and she offered her help and I took it. She looked over my work and said it looked good. She offered to come and help with rehearsal which made me feel so much better. Luckily by the time rehearsal rolled around I was feeling ok enough to do it on my own. I have great co-workers and they were all so understanding and supportive throughout the day.

As the program got started I held my breathe for the next 90-minutes until our board chair thanked everyone for coming at the conclusion of the program. I had made it through without any major problems. I was so relieved. It really was a great night, I just wish I could have enjoyed it more.

There is a significant story wellness-wise that goes along with this night. This was my 10th award ceremony. I still had the dress I wore to my first one. It had been in a box for the past ten years. I don't typically hold on to clothes I don't fit into anymore, but I really loved this dress and hoped someday I'd fit back into it. I tried it on back in June to see if I could wear it to a wedding. I could zip it up but couldn't breathe. I tried it on a few weeks ago and it fit perfectly. Although the staff dresses up in the decade theme for the year, I decided that I really wanted to wear this dress so I did. (I also felt kind of awkward last year talking to the award winners in my jeans and 70s blond wig, so I was more comfortable in formal wear this year).

Here are a few photos from the event.

Me with my co-workers sporting their 80s gear.

We had 650 in attendance
Our 80s centerpieces were oversized rubix cubes, joy sticks and cassette tapes.
Retro candy station
Me and Stacey
2008 vs. 2010

35 36 37 38