01 02 03 I'm My Favorite: "I Want More" 04 05 15 16 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 31 32 33

"I Want More"

34
I just caught up watching last week's episode of Parenthood. Now that LOST is over, I can say Parenthood is my favorite drama on television. I don't think there has been an episode yet that I haven't cried.

There was a part in the season two premier that really struck me. Let me try and summarize what happened. Adam and Sarah are brother and sister (bonus note - the actors who play these siblings are dating in real life - awkward) and Adam "co-ops" Sarah's idea to sell a clicker to help find lost shoes (Adam works for a shoe company). Sarah realizes that Adam isn't going to give her credit for her idea and she calls him out on it. She says she wants in on the development. His response is that he has done hundreds of things for his sister throughout her life and he never so much asked for a thank you. Sarah pauses and says with great trepidation "I want more."

It was not easy for Sarah to say this. It was a new feeling. She has always been the black sheep of the family. Always the screw up. She was excited that she had a really good idea and she was excited at the possibility that she might have more. She wasn't going to let this opportunity pass her by. She wanted more and she was going to go after it. Even though she wasn't sure what would happen. She wasn't sure if she would have another good idea. But she wanted to try.

I wanted more.

I wanted more than wishing I would wake up skinny. I wanted more than never being in photos. I wanted more than sitting on the side of the hot tub while everyone else was having fun inside it. I wanted more than what I knew. I wanted what I didn't know. I wasn't sure what would happen. I wasn't sure if I could do it. But I wanted to try.

It's ok to want more. It's ok to say you deserve more. Don't let anyone else, especially yourself, try and tell you that you don't deserve it.
35 36 37 38