01 02 03 I'm My Favorite: Taking Control Back From Picnics 04 05 15 16 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 31 32 33

Taking Control Back From Picnics

34
Most of you are probably familiar with Weight Watchers point system. You are given daily points, weekly points and points for exercise. I currently have 35 weekly points to play with.

I have been using my weekly points either in one day or over two consecutive days.  I didn't start off doing this deliberately. It just happened that I usually went to a party or out to dinner on the weekend and ended up using them like I stated above. Since I've been losing consistently for the past six weeks and I like using my weekly points this way, this is how I'm choosing to do it.

I know these weekly points can be a controversial topic. So, for the record, here's what Weight Watchers has to say:
"Use your weekly POINTS allowance for indulgences. Just because you’re trying to lose weight doesn’t mean you should be deprived of your favorite foods — it just means that you need to practice portion control and remain within your POINTS budget."

and:
"Use your Allowance all at once, on a dinner out or a special occasion. Divide the extra POINTS values up over the week. Choose not to use them, to boost this week’s weight loss."

So when Saturday came around this past weekend I was debating when to use my weekly points. We didn't have any plans for Saturday and had a church picnic scheduled on Sunday.

I did not want to use my extra points at the picnic because I wouldn't know the exact point value of the foods that would be there. I decide that Saturday would be my extra point day. (Just a side note - Jim did the exact opposite and used his weekly points at the picnic and stayed within his point totals too)

Saturday morning I had a granola bar and some yogurt with Kashi cereal before Zumba. After class I had an egg sandwich and pretzels with hummus. Snacks were dark chocolate with organic peanut butter, another granola bar and some triscuits with turkey pepperoni and cheese. By late afternoon I had used all of my 30 daily points.

I debated what to do for dinner and decided on Five Guys. Oh my, I can't tell you the last time I had french fries and I must say they were delicious. I also got a little cheeseburger. Together they were 20 points.

So here's something I'm proud of ... Like I mentioned, our church picnic was Sunday. I had already used most of my weekly points on Saturday so I went to the picnic knowing I would be very selective of what I ate and only choose things that I could accurately guess point values on. I had a hot dog without bun (5 points), loaded my plate with a leafy, green salad, added carrots (no dressing), watermelon, grapes and a corn, onion and pepper salad (I guessed the fruits and veggies were 4 points). At one point I had scooped up a spoonful of cheesy potatoes but as I thought about how many points it would be, I put it back knowing it wasn't worth it.

The thing is, I don't even remember eating most of the food. I do remember thinking the corn salad was pretty good. But I was so busy talking to friends that it was more about getting food into my belly so I wouldn't get famished.

It made me think - how many times have I been at a picnic like this, filled my plate full of high-calorie food and then eaten it without much thought to the taste because I was busy socializing?

I don't know about you, but now when I choose to eat something that's a treat, I savor every bite. Like Five Guys on Saturday. The anticipation of having our number called. I can still remember the taste of that cheeseburger and fries. Enjoying the meal knowing that I wasn't being "bad" according to the weigh watcher plan.

Things continue to click for me. I'm figuring out new things every day. It makes me happy to know that I have control over picnic eating. It makes me proud that I can make these choices so easily now.

August Goal Update

  1. Lose at least four pounds. - Met. Woo Hoo!
  2. Track WW points daily. - Met.
  3. Exercise at least three times a week. - Met. I rocked this one and exercised five times this week.
  4. Drink at least 48 oz of water a day. - Not Met. I didn't get in enough water on Saturday.
  5. Limit Diet Dr. Pepper to two cans a day. - Not Met. I missed this one several days.
  6. Cut out one WW ice cream bar a week. - Met. No ice cream Sunday.
  7. Read stories every night to the kids. - Met. With Jim's help.
  8. Game night once a week. - Not Met. Forgot about this one.
  9. Read every night before bed. - Not Met. I still haven't gotten a new book.
  10. Finish all laundry at some point during the month. I'm very close on this one. Only a few more baskets. Side note - Jim took five garbage bags of clothes to Goodwill for me on Saturday and I sold one basket of the kids clothes to the consignment shop for $70!
35 36 37 38