01 02 03 I'm My Favorite: Facebook: A Weight Loss Tool? 04 05 15 16 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 31 32 33

Facebook: A Weight Loss Tool?

34
I admit it; I'm a Facebook addict. It's the first thing I check when I get up and the last thing I look at before bed.

I was one of the first people in my circle of family and friends to sign up for Facebook. I took some ribbing for being on the social network, but now all those naysayers are on it. Even my parents are active Facebook users.

I'm a constant status updater and I'm sure I've been "hidden" because of it. I'm ok with that.

I am grateful for Facebook because it was one of the tools that helped me get started on my weight loss journey. It started with my brother, Erick. We only see each other a few times a year since he lives out-of-state.

And so when he posted this photo above in October of 2008 I commented on it.

I said: "You look skinny Erick, have you lost weight?"
He said: "Down 15; thanks for noticing."

Then I noticed that every few weeks Erick would post things like: Down 20. Down 25. Down 30. He was losing weight, he was posting it on Facebook and it was really, really motivating me.

Here's a before photo of Erick.


Erick 2006


And a after photo

Erick 2009

I wanted to post on Facebook that I had lost 30 pounds. I wanted my friends to post comments of encouragement on my status updates. And so I did.

After I lost some weight I posted my progress on my status and got some nice comments from friends encouraging me. Then I decided to post a before and recent photo. Here it is:

I had 25 people comment on it.

I was shocked. My friends were so supportive and proud and in some cases said I was motivating them to lose weight. It made me feel so good.

I wasn't sure if it was a good idea to post wellness stuff on Facebook. I remember a few years ago when I would see people posting their gym habits that I thought they were just posting to toot their own horn and feel good about themselves. And to be honest, that is part of the reason I do it. But it's also because it's motivating to me and I think it's motivating to some of my friends as well. I know some people will find it annoying, but again, I'm totally fine with that "Hide" feature on Facebook. That's what it's there for.

I used to talk about Zumba a LOT on Facebook (I still do, but not as much now that I have my blog). And I have to tell you that whenever I see people I haven't seen in awhile, one of the first things they bring up is Zumba. They want to hear more about it, they want to try it or they just want to say they think it's neat that I've found an exercise I love.

So I will continue to post about wellness on Facebook as long as it helps me and as long as I'm getting feedback that it's helping others.

What's your take on this topic? Do you think Facebook is an appropriate place for wellness discussions?


Zumba Corner
Yesterday was a "me" day and I loved it. Jim went into the office and the kids were at day camp. I slept in, cleaned, did laundry and watched TV by myself. It was so quiet and relaxing. Late in the afternoon I got sucked into watching Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince and before I knew it, it was 5:15 p.m. I had planned on picking up the kids early around 4:30 p.m. Crap - my Zumba class was at 6 p.m. I decided I could still make it. I ran and got the kids (they were sooo tired), came home, changed and then went back to the Y just in time for class. OMGosh, it was Trish's class and let me tell you, I went home, ate, showered and then crashed in bed the rest of the night. I was so sore. She has been kicking our butts lately in class. Love it!

Labels: ,

35 36 37 38